Are You Struggling To Keep Ants Away From Your Durham Home?
June 15, 2022 - Ants
When most people think of ants, they think of the little black ants that invade outdoor picnics and march off with food like in old cartoons. And while the concept of how ants take off with food to take it to their nests is pretty accurate, the actual process is a little bit different when it comes to ants in your home versus outside.
The worker ants will come into your home through tiny cracks and crevices foraging for food. In doing that, they’ll leave scent trails that lead to their food sources for other ants to follow. Unfortunately, whether you’re a homeowner or renter, these worker ants will stop at nothing to get to a food source, and if your home provides it, they’re going to do their best to find a way inside.
These ants are persistent when it comes to getting inside your home for food. Stop them dead in their tracks with pest control In Durham.
The Types Of Ants That Invade Durham Residences
It’s one thing to need outdoor ant control, but once these invasive pests get indoors, you’re going to need ant control in your house. By understanding the types of ants that can potentially enter your Durham home, you can better implement effective prevention techniques. Below are some of the local area ants that are typical problems for residents:
- Little black ants
- Odorous House ants
- Carpenter ants
- Fire ants
There are over 1000 species of ants in the U.S., and Durham is fortunate enough only to be home to a small handful of them.
Ants In Your Home Can Cause A Huge Problem
Any of Durham’s species of ants can pose risks to not only your home but also your health. Below, we will look at how these invasive pests can do some major damage if you don’t look into ant pest control treatment options.
- Damage to your home: It’s unlikely you’re going to see wood-destroying ants out and about in your home; These ants prefer to reside in the walls, tunneling through the wood and building nests within.
- Potential health risks: Ants that sting and bite are a real problem. For the most part, ant bites aren’t too dangerous, causing mild discomfort (if properly cleaned and treated). On the other hand, ants that sting can lead to mild to severe and even life-threatening effects due to their venom.
- Attracting other pests: Ants are tiny insects and are great food sources to other, bigger insects like black widow and brown recluse spiders, as well as different species of bats as well.
If you see ants in your home, you’ll want to do your due diligence to get them out as they’re not only hazardous to your home and health, but they’ll also attract bigger and potentially more dangerous insects into your house.
The Key To Deterring The Ants In Durham
The key to deterring ants is to rid your home of them entirely and then implement prevention methods to prevent them from returning. Here at The Eco Man Pest Solutions, we have eco-friendly solutions that will not only deter ants but keep them away for good without toxic chemicals. We are your Durham solution.
Five Natural Ways To Keep Ants Away From Your Home
Follow these home maintenance tips to keep ants away from your home naturally:
- Place bay leaves in cabinets and drawers.
- Leave citrus peels in areas you’ve seen ant activity.
- Draw chalk lines at entry points where ants can potentially come in.
- Sprinkle coffee grounds around the perimeter of your home.
- Regularly spray your counters with vinegar.
These are all items you probably have in your kitchen pantry or somewhere in your home that will help keep ants away from your Durham home. But in order for these deterrents to work, you first have to get rid of your ant problem. The Eco Man Pest Solutions has a solution perfect for your home; just give us a call at your convenience.
Kevin and his team at Eco Man came in and treated my many rental properties for an affordable flat fee per unit. They did a great job and are now coming Quarterly. My Tenants love the smell of the essential oils. Thanks