Everything You Need To Know About Ant Control In Durham
September 15, 2021 - Ants
Ever heard the song, “The ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah”? While this is a popular children’s song, the reality is that nobody is enthusiastic when the ant arrives on a homeowner’s doorstep. With over 700 different species of ants in the United States and over 25 different species that enjoy invading your home, nobody will be cheering when they march into your Durham home.
What Everyone Ought To Know About Ants In The Durham Area
Just about everyone gets ants in their home at one point or another. Ants have been named the number one nuisance pest in the United States. Even though most ants fall into the “nuisance” category, some are dangerous and destructive.
Regardless of their species all ants share certain traits such as six legs, bent (elbowed) antennae, three body parts separated into head, thorax, and abdomen. Their size, color, and behavior can vary and help distinguish one species from another.
Which Ants In Durham Are A Nuisance?
No ant is welcome in the house. Many ant species are merely nuisance pests, but they can still contaminate food. Multiple ant species occupy specific areas of the United States; however, many are established throughout the United States. It is good to know which ones are nuisance pests and which can be dangerous and destructive.
Some ant species that are known to be nuisance pests are as follows:
- Argentine ants: This species contaminates food and gives off a musty odor when crushed.
- Big-headed ants: Not considered dangerous, they will annoy homeowners by leaving “dirt piles” inside and outside homes.
- Odorous house ants: Odorous ants will contaminate food. When crushed, they give off a rotten coconut smell.
- Pavement ants: These ants are not a threat to the public, but they do contaminate food.
- Little black ants: Their small and weak stinger does not harm people, but they like to make a nuisance of themselves.
- Ghost ants: Because these ants establish nests inside, they can be quite a nuisance to homeowners. Similar to odorous ants, they give off a rotten coconut smell when crushed.
Don't be fooled by the nuisance designation, these tiny pests create big headaches when they enter Durham homes.
Which Ants In Durham Are Dangerous?
While many species of ants end up being a nuisance, some species are downright dangerous. Whether it is your body or home, it is good to know which ants can bring pain and destruction.
Some ant species that are known to be dangerous or destructive pests are as follows:
- Carpenter ants: Tunneling through wood to build their nest, these ants can structurally damage homes.
- Pharaoh ants: These ants can spread over 12 different pathogens like streptococcus pyogenes and salmonella.
- Imported fire ants: Equipped with a painful stinger, they can give you a nasty welt. Allergic reactions to these ants can be severe. These are aggressive ants when their nests are disturbed.
- Acrobat ants: Offering a nasty odor when agitated, these ants can also bite when threatened. They also ants chew insulation around electrical and telephone wires causing short circuits.
- Thief ants: Feeding on rats and mice, these ants carry nasty pathogens to human food. They are good at getting into packaged food and can prove challenging to remove from your home.
All of these ants require prompt attention if they start to make themselves at home on your Durham property.
Durham Property Owners Deserve Pest Control They Can Trust
Whatever ant decides to invade your private space needs to be removed. It is essential to have the pest professionals at The Eco Man Pest Solutions, LLC identify what species you are battling. Whether dangerous, destructive, or simply a nuisance, The Eco Man Pest Solutions, LLC can design a preventative pest control plan that can give you seasonal or long-term solutions to your ant problems. Call us today to get started with pest control for your Durham property.
Eco Man Pest are the best to work with that I've had in the Triangle since moving here 20 years ago and using at least 5 other companies thus far. The Technician was so nice, knowledgeable and efficient. Thanks again Tim...