How To Prevent Squirrel Infestations In Durham
December 15, 2022 - Squirrels
Even though the gray squirrel has been the state mammal since 1967, that doesn’t mean they can’t be a menace. Squirrels can wreak havoc if they get into your house, living inside wall voids, chimneys, attics, and vents. If you have a squirrel problem, you need to call a Durham pest control company such as The Eco Man Pest Solutions as soon as possible.
The Types Of Squirrels That Hang Around Yards
There are five types of tree squirrels in North Carolina:
- Gray squirrels have gray-brown fur with white bellies.
- Red squirrels are small, about half the size of gray squirrels. Their fur is reddish-gray in winter and reddish-orange in summer. They also have white bellies.
- Fox squirrels are black or gray with tan or gold bellies, or they’re reddish, tan, or orange with cream bellies.
- Southern flying squirrels are small, tan or brown on their back, with white bellies. They have flaps of skin between their ankles and wrists that allow them to glide as much as 80 feet.
- Northern flying squirrels are rarer, typically found in evergreen forested areas. They’re tan or brown on their back, with belly hair that’s white-tipped. They’ve got the same skin flap as their southern cousins.
No matter what version of squirrels you’ve got, you need to get a professional involved for tree squirrel control in your Durham home.
Why Having Squirrels Around Your Home Is Problematic
Squirrels are rodents and extremely destructive wildlife pests in Durham. They’ll chew on anything and everything they can get their mouths around. Eaves, rafters, window and door screens, deck posts, siding – no part of your house is safe.
They also damage bird feeders when they climb up to eat the birdseed you put out. They gnaw at the opening of the feeder so they can get to more birdseed. Squirrels also eat seeds you’ve planted in your flower beds or gardens. They’re particularly attracted to fruits and grains you’re growing, such as strawberries, raspberries, and corn.
Squirrels can also carry diseases. Most frequently, they carry tularemia or ringworm, which can affect you if they get into your house. Even squirrels in the yard may pass these on to your pets. That’s why you need professional pest control for squirrels.
Five No-Sweat Tips To Prevent Squirrels Around Your Home
There are ways you can prevent squirrels from being interested in your yard. Here are the five top tips from wildlife control services in Durham:
- Cover any openings in your house. Put a cap on the chimney. Cover attic vents and holes in the eaves with ½ or ¼ inch hardware cloth that’s at least 26 gauge, so squirrels can’t gnaw through it.
- Trim your trees back to eight feet from your house to prevent gray, red, and fox squirrels from being able to jump onto your roof.
- Use chicken wire to create cages for plants you want to protect from the squirrels.
- Use a commercial repellant in areas where the squirrels have gnawed on fences, doors, eaves, deck boards, or lawn furniture. Make sure you follow the label instructions.
- Move your vehicle regularly, ideally parking it in a garage where squirrels can’t get to it. If you don’t drive regularly and you don’t have a garage, move your car to different parking spaces every few days so squirrels won’t be attracted to the gnawing possibilities it presents.
Keeping squirrels out in the first place might take a bit of effort, but it is well worth the time in comparison to the immense task of eradicating squirrels from your home.
Call The Eco Man Pest Solutions At The First Sign Of Squirrels In Your Yard
The Eco Man Pest Solutions is waiting for your call to come to help you get the Durham squirrels under control in your yard. We use legal, humane squirrel control methods to remove the problem animals from your house and property.
At The Eco Man Pest Solutions, we have over 25 years of experience in eco-friendly pest control and wildlife removal. We work hard to ensure that our happy customers have pest-free properties. Call to request your quote today and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Durham.
Eco Man Pest are the best to work with that I've had in the Triangle since moving here 20 years ago and using at least 5 other companies thus far. The Technician was so nice, knowledgeable and efficient. Thanks again Tim...