Keeping Ants Out Of Your Durham Home
March 30, 2022 - Ants
It’s not Durham, North Carolina unless you include facts about its national champions and hall of fame coaches in your conversation! Durham has dominated many college sports scenes with a rich history of exceptional sports teams. Still, common ants in the area also have a renowned reputation – they are the number one nuisance in America!
The Types of Ants That Invade Durham Homes
Ant control treatments can be complex when over 700 species crawl around the United States. While Durham might not be host to all the species, it certainly has its fair share; therefore, homeowners must be aware of some common ones that might bring trouble.
Three common ants in the Durham area include:
- Odorous house ants: This ant has a brown/black color, six legs, an oval, segmented body, and antennae. It grows from 1/16 to 1/8 inches.
- Carpenter ants: These ants can be red, brown, black, or a red/black combination. Six legs support its segmented oval body and antennae. It grows to about 5/8 inches.
- Fire ants: These ants have a reddish-brown coloration, an oval, segmented body, six legs, and antennae. They measure from 1/8 to 3/8 inches.
The Problems Ants Can Cause In Your Durham Home
Most ants are simply a pain in the backside, but others can pose health hazards or even bring structural issues to your home. In addition to knowing what ants are invading your property, it is also wise to take note of the individual problems they bring with them.
Problems three Durham ant species bring to homes include:
- Odorous house ants: While these ants do not pose a public health risk, they are notorious for contaminating food. Their main attractions are sweets and honeydew. In addition to being annoying, they also give off a “rotten coconut” smell when they are crushed.
- Carpenter ants: These ants are a severe risk to your home. Carpenter ants will tunnel through the wood, searching for moisture, food, and nesting facilities. With their strong jaws, they excavate wood which can weaken any wooden structures in your home.
- Fire ants: Stinging insects are never fun. The fire ant is especially dangerous when its nest is disturbed and can dish out multiple painful stings. People who are allergic to these stings can develop severe reactions that may require medical attention.
Easy & Effective Ant Prevention Tips For Durham Homes
Ant control in Durham is troublesome; ants are crafty and can access your home from ground level or even from above. There are some steps that homeowners can take to try and prevent ants from getting into their homes.
Eight effective ant control prevention tips are as follows:
- Seal holes, cracks, and crevices around the home with silicon-based caulking
- Trim branches that overhang your house.
- Fix any standing water issues around the outside of your home.
- Keep any firewood or building materials away from your home.
- Repair any moisture leaks inside your home.
- Use air-tight containers for food storage.
- Remove trash frequently.
- Keep pet dishes clean/clean-up spills.
Safe & Effective Ant Control For Durham Homes
When it comes to effective ant control, The Eco Man Pest Solutions has eco-friendly ant control solutions that provide safe and effective ways to deal with your ant problems. Our family-owned and operated company has been servicing Durham and the surrounding areas for over 25 years. Call The Eco Man Pest Solutions today for ant control solutions that address your specific pest needs.
Thanks so much Eco Man for taking care of the Yellow jackets in my yard... Still gone after two weeks now. Bravo to a local company