Should I Be Worried About The Fleas In Durham?
May 30, 2022 - Fleas
Wherever there are mammals, fleas will never be too far off. Some of the most annoying pests are fleas, nasty insects that cause irritating bites that leave you and your pets insanely itchy. An excellent example of why professional pest control in Durham is a necessity is that most people don't know that fleas are capable of causing much more harm than just annoyance. Keep reading to learn why fleas are dangerous to humans and pets and learn how to remove them from your Durham home once and for all.
What Attracts Fleas To Mammals?
Unfortunately, a flea infestation is difficult to avoid simply because of what attracts them. Fleas are looking to set up shop anywhere there is body heat, light, vibrations, movement, and carbon dioxide, and why fleas in human hair are such a common sight; the human head provides everything they are looking for. Fleas in human hair have the perfect environment to live and reproduce, and they can often be found infesting our beloved pets as well.
Fleas Can Be Dangerous
A flea infestation can be much worse than just annoying and causing you and your pets to be itchy. One reason it is so important to get rid of fleas is that they can spread harmful diseases to you and your pets.
Below are some reasons you will want to call a professional to get rid of fleas in your home as soon as possible:
- Flea-borne (murine) typhus: This particular disease is caused by a bacteria called Rickettsia typhi. Fleas carry this bacteria, and when they bite you or your pet, they pass it along. Symptoms include a rash, cough, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, fever, and body aches.
- Parasites: Flea bites on humans and pets can transmit one of the most vile parasites; the tapeworm. If bitten or swallowed, a flea can transmit this parasite to both humans and pets. The tapeworm lives in the intestines and can cause weight loss from inadequate absorption of nutrients because the tapeworm steals them from you.
- Bubonic plague: It's hard to believe that something as small as a flea is the cause of one of history's deadliest pandemics. Fleas infected with the bubonic plague hitched rides on rodents, and those rodents hung out closely with humans, inadvertently spreading this terribly fatal disease. If you are exposed to a flea infected with the plague, you will experience severe side effects to your lungs and immune system, and death is always the result without immediate medical attention.
Flea bites on humans as they are for pets, so make sure to seek veterinary treatment if your pets are affected by fleas.
Natural Flea Prevention Tips
While the best way to get rid of fleas is to consult a professional, there are some things you can start doing now to help naturally prevent fleas from invading your home:
- Wash bedding frequently: This includes pet bedding! Regularly wash bedding with hot water and soap, which will help kill any flea eggs in them.
- Vacuum often: Another way to destroy flea eggs is to vacuum and sweep often. Doing this removes the eggs and larvae that have hatched, making it harder for a flea infestation to take hold in your home.
- Proper veterinarian care: Because pets are an easy target for fleas, one way to avoid an infestation is to ensure you are giving your pets proper veterinarian care. Your vet will help you determine the best products to treat your pet with, making them less appealing to fleas.
While these are just prevention tips, if you have an infestation already taking hold, the best way to get rid of fleas will be to contact an expert.
How To Keep Fleas Away For Good
Here at The Eco Man Pest Solutions, we have over 25 years of experience dealing with flea infestations in Durham and the surrounding areas. We treat each infestation uniquely, customizing our flea control treatment to ensure it will be most effective for your specific situation. Our expert technicians are armed with tools not readily available to the general public, allowing them to safely and effectively exterminate flea infestations in their entirety. If fleas have invaded your home, don't waste your money trying expensive DIY methods online — give us a call today!
Kevin and his team at Eco Man came in and treated my many rental properties for an affordable flat fee per unit. They did a great job and are now coming Quarterly. My Tenants love the smell of the essential oils. Thanks