The Rats In Durham Can Be A Real Problem
May 15, 2022 - rats
Durham is a wonderful city, full of economic opportunities and great school systems, making it ideal for families to settle down. Unfortunately, wherever large populations of people settle down throughout human history, rats follow. As the human population grows, so does the rat population, which leads to rats invading Durham homes because human homes provide easy access to shelter, food, and water. Because of the danger they pose to human health, professional pest control in Durham is essential when it comes to exterminating rat infestations. Read on to learn what kinds of rats are common here, why they are so dangerous to have in your home, and how The Eco Man Pest Solutions can help you become rat-free today!
How Big Can The Rats Get?
Perhaps the most distinctive difference between mice and rats is their size — rats are significantly larger. However, no matter what kind of rat infestation you have, the best way to get rid of rats at home is to contact a professional.
Below are the two most common rat species in Durham:
- Norway rats: The Norway rat is a rather large rodent, growing between six and eight inches long. However, if you include the length of their tails, from tail tip to blunt nose, the Norway rat can reach 17 inches. They are covered in brown fur, with their underbellies are lighter in color. They are burrowing rats and are more likely to be found burrowing in your basement and crawl space during the winter months.
- Roof rats: Another common type of rat here in Durham is the roof rat. You may also see them called black rats, as they are black in color. They have pointed noses, and from tail tip to nose tip, they can average around 16 inches in length. Roof rats are excellent climbers and are likely to be found climbing along your roof and walls, gaining access to your home through the roof.
Google will tell you all about home remedies for rats, but unfortunately, they are unlikely to work no matter what type of rat infestation you are dealing with. Read on to learn why.
How Dangerous Is It To Have Rats On My Property?
Whenever rats go, destruction follows them because they are vectors of terrible diseases, and as they follow the human population closely, they spread these illnesses to people in mass quantities. To avoid these diseases, you must get rid of rats at home, or you and your family could become severely ill.
Below are the most common diseases you could contract from rats:
- Rat-bite fever: While this disease can definitely be spread via a rat bite or scratch, you don’t actually need to have had contact with one to contract it; you must simply be exposed to them, their urine, feces, or nesting materials to come down with this terrible illness. Symptoms include a fever, skin rash, headaches, vomiting, and muscle pains.
- Plague: Perhaps the best case for utilizing professional pest control in Durham, it is still entirely possible for rats to spread the original bubonic plague — the same one that ravaged the Middle Ages, killing millions. The disease is transmitted when infected fleas latch onto the rats in your home, and the rats go around exposing you and your family. If you become infected with the plague, your lungs and immune system will be severely affected, and death is always the result unless immediate medical attention is received.
- Hantavirus: Symptoms of this particular virus usually consist of a fever, fatigue, muscle aches, abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. Without medical attention, this disease is always fatal.
Because rats pose a threat to human health, we do not recommend home remedies for rats. Exposing yourself to rats and the many diseases they carry only puts you and your friends and family in danger.
Why Is It So Hard To Get Rid Of Rats?
There are many reasons home remedies to get rid of rats don’t work. The first is that rats are prolific breeders, increasing the number of rats significantly every year. A female rat usually gives birth to six litters a year, and each litter consists of up to 12 rat pups. Even if you manage to kill a few adult rats with your bait and traps, it does nothing to address the actual problem, which is that the females are continuing to breed and create up to 72 new rats a year — and that’s just one female!
Another reason home remedies to get rid of rats don’t work is because rats are smarter than we give them credit for. Naturally wary creatures, they are unlikely to approach the traps you’ve laid out, meaning you are just wasting your money buying them. After avoiding your traps, they will continue to breed, constantly increasing the number of rats in your home.
The Secret To Total Rat Control For Durham Properties
The only way to effectively control the rat population on your Durham property is to consult an expert. Here at The Eco Man Pest Solutions, we have over 25 years of experience exterminating rat infestations in their entirety. Our expert technicians have the skills and tools required to safely and effectively remove rats from your home without anyone getting sick. We use tools that are not only eco-friendly but ones that are much stronger than the chemicals available to the general public. If rats have invaded your home, don’t risk getting exposed to deadly illnesses — call us today!
The fire ants were all in my yard. Shuvar & Eco Man came and did a great job, and explained to me the process. Thank you so much... All gone