What You Need To Know About Pest Control During The Fall In Durham
September 30, 2021 - Fall Pests
During the summertime, pests can seem to be everywhere. Bugs seem to come out in droves, and it can be difficult to remove them all. However, while it’s easy to assume that pests are mainly an issue during the warmer months, certain pests become more active in the fall when the weather starts to cool down. Some of these common fall pests start to come inside searching for shelter and a place to spend the winter, while others get indoors while hunting their prey. The most common autumn pests in Durham, North Carolina are rodents, cockroaches, spiders, and bees.
While each species is unique, they can all bring problems and challenges to you as a home or business owner. Some, like rodents and cockroaches, can spread diseases while others, like spiders and bees, can bite or sting. To help you protect your property from the pitfalls of autumn pests, we’ve put together a guide on preventing them.
The Many Issues Fall Pests Cause
Dealing with pest problems is not something any home or business owner wants to do. With everything on your plate, you don’t want to worry about property damage or risks to yourself or others. Unfortunately, this can become a reality if you have infestations of some of these pests.
These species generally bring about either property damage or health risks, including these six specific problems:
- Cockroaches and rodents can spread many illnesses, including salmonella and gastroenteritis. Cockroaches carry around 35 different diseases, and both of these species commonly get into food and kitchen areas.
- Mice, rats, and rodents can also lead to allergic reactions and asthma attacks.
- While most spiders aren’t dangerous, brown recluse and black widow spiders have potent enough venom to harm humans.
- Bee stings can be dangerous, especially to people who are allergic to their venom.
- Rodents can cause a lot of property damage as they gnaw through materials. They can destroy everything from electrical wires to plumbing and drywall.
- Cockroaches can be invasive and create a disgusting mess in kitchens and other areas of a home or business.
And these are just some of the issues pests bring into homes and businesses. No one wants to have to deal with the aftermath of a pest infestation.
Steps To Prevent Fall Pests
Overall, the best and most effective way to keep these pests away from your property is by taking preventive measures and seeking out ongoing professional pest control.
However, while taking pest prevention steps throughout the year is important, there are still some things you can implement during the fall and winter to keep pests away, such as:
- Reducing humidity around your property by fixing leaky plumbing and using dehumidifiers
- Placing lids on all garbage cans and taking out the trash regularly
- Making it more difficult for pests to get inside by fixing broken screens, installing door sweeps, and repairing holes in the walls and foundation
- Keeping kitchens cleaned, including wiping up food and drink spills right away
Taking these steps should minimize the factors attracting pests and ways they can access your property.
The Easiest & Best Fall Pest Prevention Tips
While implementing your own prevention strategies is helpful, the simplest and most effective way to both prevent and remove fall and winter pests is with help from The Eco Man Pests Solutions, LLC. Our ongoing pest control plans will ensure these species don’t get inside your home or business, and we will also swiftly remove any current pest problems. All you have to do is give us a call to learn more about pest control in Durham, or request an inspection.
Kevin and his team at Eco Man came in and treated my many rental properties for an affordable flat fee per unit. They did a great job and are now coming Quarterly. My Tenants love the smell of the essential oils. Thanks