What are spiders?
Spiders are regular visitors to our properties and easily identified by their two body segments, eight legs, and lack of wings and antennae. Spiders also have many eyes, usually between six and eight!
All spiders produce silk that they use for multiple purposes, including building webs, lining burrows, wrapping up prey, and as a natural tether. Exceptional hunters, spiders use their hollow fangs to inject venom into their prey and use those same fangs as a means of defense.
Spiders living in our area that sometimes find their way into Durham yards and homes are the black widow spider, brown recluse spider, wolf spider, and house spider.
Are spiders dangerous?
Though spiders don’t generally have a great reputation and elicit fear in many people, the truth is that these arachnids are reclusive creatures that do their best to stay out of the limelight and away from people, even when living in our homes!
The majority of spiders people come into contact with are harmless and have the important purpose of controlling nuisance insects. Still, it is important to note that some species of spiders living in North Carolina are dangerous, and you need to avoid them. Both black widow spiders and brown recluse spiders have venom strong enough to harm people and our pets. Symptoms from dangerous spider bites have to be managed by a medical professional.
Why do I have a spider problem?
There are several reasons spiders may be an issue on your property; the most common reasons are below:
- These arachnids may have followed their insect prey indoors. Spiders also move inside to escape harsh weather or while looking for food or water.
- Spiders may come indoors to find a dark, quiet space to lay their eggs.
- Sometimes spiders are accidentally transported into our homes in things like boxes, on firewood, inside deliveries, or on furniture.
- Any areas of standing water in your yard attract both spiders and their insect prey.
- Gardens and areas of dense vegetation attract insect activity and provide plenty of hiding spots for reclusive spiders.
Where will I find spiders?
Indoor or outdoor spaces that provide spiders with safe shelter, areas to create their burrows or webs, and plenty of access to food and water are places you will find these eight-legged creatures.
Some of their most common gathering spots include:
- Gardens and flower beds
- Spaces under decks and grills
- On the exterior of homes
- Closets and basements
- The corners of rooms
- Under furniture
- Around sinks, tubs, and toilets
How do I get rid of spiders?
To control spiders numbers in your yard and keep them out of your home, partner with an experienced professional. With over 25 years in the pest control industry, the professionals at Eco Man Pest Solutions have been helping home, and business owners in Durham, NC protect their properties from spiders and other unwanted pests. We work closely with our customers to eliminate their pest problems by using innovative and eco-friendly products and relying on Integrated Pest Management techniques. If you want to learn more about our natural pest solutions and how we can work together to keep your Durham home free of spiders, reach out to our friendly professionals today!
Learn more about how our team can effectively eliminate spiders from your Durham area business.
How can I prevent spiders in the future?
The following five easy steps will help you prevent problems with spiders in your Morrisville area yard and home.
- Keep storage areas like garages, attics, and basements free of clutter and other debris where spiders can hide.
- Spiders will move into your home when following their prey through the tiniest cracks and crevices. Seal up spaces in the foundation, repair damaged siding and roof shingles, and place weatherstripping around windows and doors.
- Before bringing boxes in from the garage or bringing in firewood or potted plants, inspect them for hiding spiders.
- Dust and vacuum your home regularly to dislodge hiding spiders, not forgetting spaces under furniture, the tops of cabinets, and the corners of rooms.
- Clear away common hiding spots for spiders like overgrown bushes, shrubs, and trees from the exterior of your home.
Eco Man Pest are the best to work with that I've had in the Triangle since moving here 20 years ago and using at least 5 other companies thus far. The Technician was so nice, knowledgeable and efficient. Thanks again Tim...