Why Ant Control Is So Important For Commercial Spaces In Durham
When it comes to keeping ants out of Durham’s commercial spaces, it can be tricky. These small pests come in search of things like food residue and can fit through almost any opening that they find. While some species are simply a nuisance, they may make customers and employees uncomfortable and don’t help you put your best foot forward. On the other hand, some types of ants can actually damage your property and be the source of some risky health concerns. Today, The Eco Man Pest Solutions is going to help you identify the types of ants in the area, understand what attracts them, the simple yet effective steps you can take to deter them, and how our Durham pest control services can keep your property ant-free.
The Types Of Ants You Could Encounter In Durham
While ants might seem indistinguishable from one species to the next, there are actually subtle and not-so-subtle differences between the various types that you might encounter. The ability to properly identify the type of ant that’s present is very important in determining the right course of treatment as well. Here are some of the most common species of ant and what to look for.
- Red imported fire ants. This type of ant is most notable for its vibrant red coloring but also for the above-ground mounds that it constructs. The main issue that these ants pose is their threat to your health. If a red imported fire ant detects a threat or you disturb their home, they will scatter and sting you. Their stings contain venom, so it’s likely that you’d experience swelling, nausea, and any combination of allergic reactions.
- Pavement ants. Pavement ants are very prominent in areas like Durham, however, they can be very hard to identify given their near microscopic appearance. In addition to their size, pavement ants are dark brown to black in color, and build their nest inside of cracks around driveways, parking lots, and entryways.
- Odorous house ants. The odorous house ant is commonly regarded as the most common variety of nuisance ant in the area, and with good reason. They are lured inside of properties due to sweet foods, which many businesses readily produce. Odorous house ants are small and black, and smell like rotting coconut if you squish them.
- Carpenter ants. The carpenter ant is one of the larger species that you might come across. They are a mix of dark brown and black in coloring, and if you look closely, you can notice that they have bent antennae. The carpenter ant is also problematic because they burrow inside of the wood around your business, which can lead to termite-like damage. This is why it’s important to never ignore water damage or leaks.
No matter what type of ant your business needs protection from, The Eco Man Pest Solutions can help. Contact us today for more information on our commercial ant control process.
Why Ants Tend To Enter Commercial Space
Ants are one of the most frequently dealt with pests for Durham businesses, and for good reason. It takes very little effort to lure them into a property, and they’ll stay if they have access to the things that they require to survive. Here are some of the most common reasons why ants end up in commercial spaces:
- Supply of food. One of the things that ants across species desire most is access to food. This can mean big trouble for a wide variety of businesses that go far beyond restaurants or hospitality. They are usually most attracted to sweet items, meats, oils, or syrupy foods, but ants aren’t picky. They will go through trash that has been sitting around, look for crumbs on floors if they haven’t been cleaned thoroughly, or search for food that’s left uncovered. These types of issues are very common in office buildings as well, where employees may keep afternoon snacks, but not in the most sanitary way. They can also be an issue for pet stores that have access to a lot of wet and dry pet food.
- Water sources. Another crucial component to an ant’s survival is access to water, and for local businesses, this is much more prevalent than people might think. All an ant needs is a leaky faucet, toilet, pipe, gutter, or a touch of condensation, and they will come in droves.
- Cracks and crevices. Above all else, ants are able to enter commercial spaces if there are openings present either in a foundation or around doors and windows. Once they detect any of the items that they’re looking for, ants have a very easy time getting inside. It’s important to seal up these areas to keep ants out.
Sometimes doing everything possible to deter ants can still leave business owners with ant infestations that won’t seem to go away. Luckily, there’s help. At The Eco Man Pest Solutions, we specialize in commercial ant prevention that is gentle on the environment, but highly effective at treating these pests. Contact us today for more information on keeping ants away.
Getting Rid Of Ants In Your Business Or Commercial Area
If you’ve got an ant problem in your Durham commercial area, then you might be wondering how you can get rid of it. Keeping these pests away requires strict adherence to the rules, but they may prove helpful. Here are a few no-frills yet effective solutions to dealing with ants:
- Be scrupulous. Ants can fit through essentially any opening that they find. Whether that’s a gap around a window or a slim crevice in your foundation, it’s no challenge to them. In order to keep ants on the outside, apply weatherstripping to doors and windows that have gaps, insert door sweeps, and inspect your foundation meticulously and apply silicone-based caulk where you find cracks. During this step, you could also address plumbing voids and any other open spaces around your building.
- Put food first. One of the most common ways that ants find themselves on your property is because of food, whether it’s stored incorrectly or there are crumbs scattered about your floors and desks. If you operate a commercial kitchen, proper food storage is an absolute must, as is maintaining a hygienic work environment. For places like warehouses, offices, and other businesses where employees might have midday snacks, encourage the practice of neatening up and using sealed containers or chip clips.
- Don’t forget about water. While many people assume that food is the main culprit in ant attraction, water and moisture can also play a significant role in the process. Check your plumbing and pipes for leaks regularly, always make sure that employees shut off sinks completely, and address any areas of condensation.
- Seek professional help. The truth is, maintaining a business requires a lot of work on your part, and while you can make slight changes to daily habits, they don’t guarantee that you’ll never deal with ants. By employing the help of a trusted pest expert, you can benefit from an added layer of protection from ants and year-round support.
For more information on commercial ant control in Durham, contact The Eco Man Pest Solutions today.
Professional Ant Control For Durham Business Owners
Ants are the most common nuisance pest across the United States, which is why it’s no wonder that so many Durham business owners have to deal with them on a regular basis. When it comes to eliminating active ant pressures and preventing new infestations, there is no better answer than The Eco Man Pest Solutions. We are a locally owned and operated business with over a quarter of a century of experience in the industry. This important combination means that we bring an intimate understanding of local area pests and the properties that we service. Our commercial ant control treatments are centered on the principles of Integrated Pest Management (IPM). What this means for your business is long-lasting relief from ants and discreet treatments that will not impact your ability to operate. This approach focuses on structural modifications and the use of safe products and methods in addition to understanding pest biology and the way ants interact with your property.
To start, one of our highly skilled pest technicians will perform an in-depth inspection of your entire property, which includes the interior and exterior. During this time, we’re looking for hot spots, conducive conditions, and any openings that ants could fit through. Once we’ve completed this inspection, we’ll go over our findings with you and begin to customize your unique treatment plan. By following IPM standards, we’ll then seal up entry points and apply our essential oil-based products. We can provide ant control as a one-time service or return to your property on an ongoing schedule, depending on your preference.
When it comes to our Durham ant control services, we will always put you first, whether that means using only eco-friendly products or re-servicing your business property until we’ve completely gotten rid of the ants that are bothering you. This is also why our technicians will work with your entire team on education for the small yet helpful ways that they can work to make your property unappealing to ants between our visits. For more information on keeping your commercial space ant-free, contact us today for more information.
Recent Blog Articles
September 25, 2022
Need help combating rooting squirrels on your Durham property? Here is where these pests hide and how to keep them out of your yard. Read More
September 20, 2022
How can you tell if your Durham home has bed bugs? Take some time today to learn about the signs bed bugs leave and find one method to get these pests out.Read More